Why Study Further Mathematics?
There are many good reasons to take Further Mathematics:
Students taking Further Mathematics overwhelmingly find it to be an enjoyable, rewarding, stimulating and empowering experience.
It is a challenging qualification, which both extends and deepens your knowledge and understanding beyond the standard A level Mathematics. Students who do it often say it is their favourite subject.
- For someone who enjoys mathematics, it provides a challenge and a chance to explore new and/or more sophisticated mathematical concepts.
As well as new learning new areas of pure mathematics you will study further applications of mathematics in mechanics, statistics and decision mathematics.
- Students who take Further Mathematics find that the additional time spent studying mathematics boosts their marks in single A level Mathematics.Any student capable of passing an AS/A level in Mathematics should also be able to pass AS Further Mathematics. Studying Further Mathematics consolidates and reinforces your standard A level Mathematics work, helping you to achieve your best possible grades.
- It makes the transition from sixth form to university courses which are mathematically rich that much easier as more of the first year course content will be familiar.
If you are planning to take a degree such as Engineering, Sciences, Computing, Finance/Economics, etc., or perhaps Mathematics itself, you will benefit enormously from taking Further Mathematics, at least to AS level. AS Further Mathematics introduces new topics such as matrices and complex numbers that are vital in many STEM degrees. Students who have studied Further Mathematics find the transition to such degrees far more straightforward. If you decide to study for a mathematically rich degree during year 12, but are not taking AS Further Mathematics it is often possible to start AS Further Mathematics alongside A level Mathematics in year 13.
- It enables students to distinguish themselves as able mathematicians in their applications for university and future employment.
Further Mathematics qualifications are highly regarded and are warmly welcomed by universities. Students who take Further Mathematics are really demonstrating a strong commitment to their studies, as well as learning mathematics that is very useful for any mathematically rich degree. Some prestigious university courses require you to have a Further Mathematics qualification and others may adjust their grade requirements more favourably to students with Further Mathematics.
If you are not planning to study for mathematically rich degrees but are keen on mathematics you will find Further Mathematics a very enjoyable course and having a Further Mathematics qualification identifies you as having excellent analytical skills, whatever area you are considering for a career. See:
Further Mathematics and careers.
By studying Further Mathematics through the FMSP, you will also:
- taste a more independent style of learning, which is good preparation for university or a career;
- have the chance to work with like-minded students from other schools and colleges;
- in many cases, have regular input through a local university.
Please also see the Is AS and/or A level Further Mathematics for me? pageand the Universities section for what universities say about the usefulness of Further Mathematics